Originally we had planned to go on a motorcycle trip in August to Colorado, but since we could not get everyone’s schedules worked out until September we changed the designation to Big Bend & Carlsbad Caverns National Parks due to the possibility the weather in Colorado would be much colder and there is always a possibility of encountering snow that time of the year in the mountains. Larry Cooper suggested we go back to Big Bend so that’s where we went. I tried to plan this trip to be different from the 2 previous trips so we could see different country. I wasn’t sure what the weather would be because we have had so much hot weather here. I was also afraid that our lawn would not survive us being gone for a whole week without watering. But as it turned out we got over 6 inches of rain the week before the trip and the weather cooled significantly. The trip consisted of three couples, Larry & Jo Cooper (from Bryant Alabama), Larry & Shirley Talley (from Tunnel Hill, Georgia) and Janet and myself on three bikes. Larry Talley was pulling his trailer so we had lots of room to carry things like a cooler. The cooler was very handy because we carried picnic food and drinks and stopped many times at picnic areas for lunch and when the temperature climbed we had plenty of drinks to stay hydrated.
Below are links to post of each day’s trip and what we saw. Come follow along and enjoy the ride, scenery and fun for riding with good friends.
- Day 1 Thursday Sept. 17 Georgetown to Junction (271 miles)
- Day 2 Friday Sept. 18 Junction to Marathon (258 miles)
- Day 3 Saturday Sept. 19 Marathon to Chisos Basin Lodge (66 miles)
- Day 4 Sunday Sept. 20 Chisos Basin Lodge to Van Horn (234 miles)
- Day 5 Monday Sept. 21 Van Horn to Lamesa (259 miles)
- Day 6 Tuesday Sept. 22 Lamesa to San Angelo (231 miles)
- Day 7 Wednesday Sept. 23 San Angelo to Georgetown (199 miles)