September 26 Cortez, CO to Pagosa Springs, Co to Taos, NM to Las Vegas, NM to Tucumcari, NM 428 miles
Today is day 9 of our Million Dollar Highway Motorcycle ride. At one of our stops on the Million Dollar Highway, the previous day, we talked to a couple of guys from Alabama. They told us that there was a lot of construction on the route we had planned to take the next day. Soooo…. I plotted an alternate route to avoid the construction. Since I didn’t have a chance to research the route thoroughly we would just be winging it. Tomorrow would be our last day riding together. Originally we had planned to go our separate ways at Amarillo but instead we would split in Tucumcari, NM. See route above.
This would be another long ride day but as it turned out we got to see more beautiful scenery for most of the route. The last 107 miles was for the most part flat, straight and desert like. The only time we stopped was for gas, lunch and to gaze at the headwaters of the Rio Grande. The headwaters of the Rio Grande had cut a deep narrow, canyon into what was a mostly flat terrain. The bridge over the canyon was lined with onlookers and at each end of the bridge was Native Americans booths setup selling everything native Americans sell. We visited with a couple of guys pulling the Goldwings on trailers. We kidded that the should be ridding them instaed of trailering… One responded , “It’s a (spelling) W-I-F-E thing.” Their wives were off buying some of the Native American wares.
By the time we got to Tucumcari we were ready for a breather.
Below are the posts from each day of our ride. Come follow along as we ride to enjoy the fun and beautiful scenery…
- Million Dollar Highway Motorcycle Ride introduction
- Day 1 & 2 Million Dollar Highway Motorcycle Ride 2010
- Day 3 Million Dollar Highway Motorcycle Ride 2010
- Day 4 Million Dollar Highway Motorcycle Ride 2010
- Day 5 Million Dollar Highway Motorcycle Ride 2010
- Day 6 Million Dollar Highway Motorcycle Ride 2010
- Day 7 Million Dollar Highway Motorcycle Ride 2010
- Day 8 Million Dollar Highway Motorcycle Ride 2010
- Day 10 Million Dollar Highway Motorcycle Ride 2010
Ride safe and I hope we see you down the road somewhere…