September 21 Canyon to Abilene (270 miles)
Thursday we rode to Abilene. It would have been a good ride except for the wind. The wind was blowing 25-30 MPH and on a bike that is no fun. For a goodly part of the ride (when ridding north to south) we had gusting cross winds that were the worst.. When heading west to east we had the wind at our back (tail wind) and that was easy riding. It was also really cold that morning (48 degrees). We hadn’t packed for riding in that cold of weather and that was a bit unpleasant even though we put on everything we had that was warm. It eventually warmed up and even got hot (92) before we got to Abilene. We passed by Cap Rock Canyon State park on the way. We wanted to stop and spent some time there but because of the wind we decided to leave that to another ride. We got to Abilene around 3:00 and went to our rooms and crashed until supper. The wind, cold and heat made for a very long and exhausting day. The only thing we wanted to do was eat and rest… sleep… So we did.
September 22 Abilene to Georgetown (204 miles)
Friday we rode to Buffalo Gap to see the Buffalo Gap Village Museum. It did not open until 10:00 so we headed back home since the wind was to start back up that afternoon. We got back to Georgetown about 2:00 and took it easy for the rest of the day.
We had a great time on our ride. The weather could have been better but if you ride weather is just part of the ride. You may want to check out the other days of our ride by clicking on the links below.
- “Trail of Tears” and Palo Duro Canyon Motorcycle Ride September 2006
- Day 1 & 2:Trail of Tears and Palo Duro Canyon Motorcycle Ride September 2006
- Day 3 Trail of Tears and Palo Duro Canyon Motorcycle Ride September 2006
- Day 4 Trail of Tears and Palo Duro Canyon Motorcycle Ride September 2006
- Day 5 Palo Duro Canyon Motorcycle Ride September 2006
While you are here, you may like these post, too…
- Our First Motorcycle Ride to Big Bend
- Big Bend Ride 2007
- Big Bend/Carlsbad Cavern Ride 2009
- Riding Information on Big Bend Area of Texas
- Tips on Long Distance Touring
- Riding Fit… Riding Smart
- Getting the Wife to Ride
Come follow along as we explore more scenic vista’s in Texas…
Ride safe and I hope we see you down the road somewhere…