Tuesday Sept. 22 Lamesa to San Angelo (231 miles)
Today is day 6 of our Big Bend and Carlsbad Caverns National Parks motorcycle ride. Come follow along and enjoy the scenery and ride.
When we left Lamesa there was a light rain and the temp. was in the low 50’s. We rode to Buffalo Gap just south of Abilene. Buffalo Gap has a Historic Village with building from different periods of the area history. It’s a self guided tour where you can walk through an old court-house w/jail, log cabin, schoolhouse, chapel, blacksmith shop, doctor and dentist office, train depot and many more. We ate lunch at the BBQ Barn. The food was good but not very hot.
We rode on to Ft. Chadbourne. Janet and I have been there two other times and every time we were treated very special by all the staff. The fort is on private land and the owner’s family has lived on the land since sometime in the 1800’s. Ft. Chadbourne is being restored with private funds with no help from the government (what a novel idea). The work they have done is rather remarkable. We can’t wait to go back and see what they have done since last time. The owner also rides motorcycles so we had to talk to him about riding in Big Bend. Currently they have completed one officer’s quarters, a small house, part of the barracks and are almost done with the Butterfield Stage Stop.
Tomorrow we head to San Angelo, Texas. Come ride along and share the fun with us.
Below are links to the other days of this ride.
- Big Bend and Carlsbad National Parks Motorcycle Ride
- Day 1 Thursday Sept. 17 Georgetown to Junction (271 miles)
- Day 2 Friday Sept. 18 Junction to Marathon (258 miles)
- Day 3 Saturday Sept. 19 Marathon to Chisos Basin Lodge (66 miles)
- Day 4 Sunday Sept. 20 Chisos Basin Lodge to Van Horn (234 miles)
- Day 5 Monday Sept. 21 Van Horn to Lamesa (259 miles)
- Day 7 Wednesday Sept. 23 San Angelo to Georgetown (199 miles)
If you are thinking about riding to the Big Bend area, checkout the links below. The links have valuable information on the Big Bend Area of Texas and tips we have learned about long motorcycle rides over the years.
If you enjoyed reading about this motorcycle ride to Big Bend National Park you may like our other motorcycle rides there too.
- Our first motorcycle ride to Big Bend National Park
- Spring motorcycle ride to Big Bend National Park April 2007
For even more content please checkout and LIKE our Facebook page. Have Goldwing Will Travel… I hope we see you down the road somewhere.